Dental anxiety is a big concern while preparing for any dental treatment. According to a study, around 20 percent of people skip their dental appointments only because they fear visiting the dental clinic. Fortunately, modern dentistry has come up with the best solutions to counter your fear of sitting on the dental chair and experiencing the procedure. We administer IV sedation to ease your dental anxiety.
IV sedation works as a form of conscious sedation, making you feel relaxed during your appointment. It doesn’t put you to sleep; it makes you less aware of everything happening in your surroundings, including the procedure you may be going through. After the administration of IV sedation, you may respond to the verbal commands and even nudge, but the pain and anxiety go away, thus making you feel comfortable.
What are the Benefits of IV Sedation?
- IV sedation is conscious sedation that doesn’t make you unconscious. It reduces your discomfort regarding the treatment, thus lessening your anxiety.
- Compared to other forms of sedation used in dentistry, IV sedation is the fastest-acting sedation. It is because it reaches directly into your bloodstream.
- The use of IV sedation makes it easy for us to adjust the dosage as required. We can adjust the amount of sedation throughout the procedure while monitoring your response to the same.
- This sedation produces an amnesia-like effect. Thus, you do not remember much about your dental appointment. Even when you have to visit again for the same appointment, there is no fear or dental anxiety.
- With IV sedation, there are no dental work delays.
- IV sedation works best for procedures that are lengthy or surgical such as root canal surgery, tooth extraction, bone grafting, etc.
What to Expect During IV Sedation?
IV sedation doesn’t involve any extensive preparation. Ensure to wear loose and comfortable clothing, and do not eat or drink 6-8 hours before sedation. If you are on medication, stop taking them before sedation.
We will start with an IV in your arm and also give other medication such as anti-inflammatories or pain medication if required. Throughout the procedure, we will monitor your pulse for adverse reactions. You will immediately feel unaware and relaxed.
The administration of sedation may make you a little drowsy for several hours, which is why it is important to bring someone during the appointment to drive you home. Do not engage in any strenuous activity for 24 hours after sedation.
To find out more about the dental services offered at Summit Family Dental Care, call (541) 779-2634 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit us at 1420 E. McAndrews Rd, Medford, OR 97504.